donderdag 31 december 2009

Akemashite omedetou! (happy new year!)

We went to the Senso-ji (oldest temple in Tokyo, 1300 years of history behind it) for new years. In Japan they don't do fireworks (well maybe at the gaijin places, but we weren't there) but they go to the temples and there they ring the temple bell 108 times (According to Buddhism, man has 108 sins and that, by hearing the bells toll that number, he can be relieved of all of them).
First I burnt one stick of incense for everyone of my close friends and of course my father and sister.
There was a huge line, but using our 'stroopwafels' I cut the line a little and tagged along with a few Japanese youngsters :D
I was witness to the bell tolling, and more so I saw my first (full) Geishas (as seen in the movies I have posted below.
The fire you see is to burn bad luck and things you want to get rid of from the previous year.
Again, all our best wishes go out to all of you, family, close friends and people we know alike.




We miss(ed) you guys (and galls)!

1 opmerking:

  1. Missed you too... I thought of you at 1 oclock my time. So close and yet so far away!

    <3

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen